Friday, February 6, 2009

NUTELLA DAY IS HERE!

Hooray, Hooray, it's Nutella Day!



Okay, so I'm a little late but I'm a busy gal. Nutella Day was orginally Feb. 5th. For the past couple of years Sara of Ms. Adventures in Italy and Michelle from Bleeding Espresso have been hosting World Nutella Day. To participate, on the given date you post anything having to do with Nutella. It can be a recipe, song, art, poem...just about anything to show the world your devote and love to Nutella.

I'll never forget the first time I tried Nutella. My dad always encouraged us children to try new things. So, one day he picked up a jar of Nutella. We got home and all dipped our spoons in and it was instant love! I've always loved hazelnuts and I'm a proud chocoholic, so having the two together was amazing! For years I ate it straight out of the jar. I lived off Nutella while I was in college! But now that I'm older I've started experimenting with cooking with it. I have three recipes that I've tried for this challenage: Nutella Gelato, Nutello Cheesecake Brownies, and Homemade Nutella.

Nutella Gelato is a recipe from Giada of Everyday Italian. Normally I wouldn't try anything she makes because I'm a firm believer in "Never trust a skinny chef," but I couldn't find another recipe like this anywhere. This is amazing and easy recipe. I give it 5 stars! Make sure to melt the Nutella in the microwave for a few minutes.

Nutella Gelato

2 cups whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup sugar, plus 1/4 cup
4 egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup chocolate-hazelnut spread (recommended: Nutella)
1/2 cup toasted hazelnuts, crushed, for garnish

In a saucepan combine the milk, cream, and 1/2 cup sugar over medium heat. Cook until the sugar dissolves, about 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a medium bowl whip the egg yolks with the remaining sugar using an electric mixer until the eggs have become thick and pale yellow, about 4 minutes. Pour 1/2 cup of the warm milk and cream mixture into the egg mixture and stir. Add this mixture back into the saucepan. Cook over very low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture becomes thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon, about 7 to 10 minutes.

Place a strainer over a medium bowl and pour the warm custard mixture through the strainer. Stir in the vanilla and hazelnut spread until it dissolves. Chill mixture completely before pouring into an ice cream maker and follow manufacturer's instructions to freeze. To serve, scoop gelato into serving bowls and top with hazelnuts.


Nutella Cheesecake Brownies is a recipe from Mary of Alpineberry. She is one of my favorite bloggers. She is the reason I started blogging and joined the Daring Bakers. Her recipes are so professional and absolutely delicious! I aspire to be just like her! This recipe she actually used for World Nutella Day in 2007. Everyone in my family LOVES this recipe. She also has a recipe for Nutella Cookies that I'm planning on trying soon.

Nutella Cheesecake Brownies

Ingredients for brownie layer:
10 tbsp butter (5 ounces) unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
1/4 cup Nutella
2 large eggs1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup natural cocoa powder

Ingredients for cheesecake layer:
8 ounces cream cheese, softened at room temp.
3 tbsp granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1/3 cup Nutella

1. Preheat oven to 325F.
2. Line a 9x9 inch square pan with parchment.
3. To make the brownie layer...Combine butter, Nutella, eggs, and sugar in a large bowl and mix well.
4. Sift in flour and cocoa powder and mix until well combined.
5. Pour batter into your prepared pan and spread evenly. Set aside while you prepare the cheesecake layer.
6.To make the cheesecake layer...Mix the cream cheese, sugar, eggs and Nutella until well combined.
7.Pour over your brownie batter.
8.Bake at 325F until the cheesecake looks set, about 40-45 minutes. Allow brownies to cool completely in the pan before cutting. (I cut my brownies into 36 since they are quite decadent.)

And finally, I'm on this homemade kick. So, I figured that since I made homemade peanut butter while not try Nutella. Nutella is starting to go up in price anyways. I've found quite a few recipes for Nutella but I like this one the best. I got the recipe from Recipe Zarr. It taste exactly like Nutella! It cost a lot less to make too. I found my hazelnuts for $0.99 at our local Surplus Store (and they weren't expired either!) and got the everything else from Aldi which was supper cheap! I had enough hazelnuts to make two batches!

Homemade Nutella

1/3 cup hazelnuts, with skins on
3/4 cup
sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
3 tablespoons
honey


1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Place hazelnuts in a single layer on a shallow baking pan.
3. Toast until the skins are almost black, about 15 minutes.
4. Wrap hot hazelnuts in a clean kitchen towel, and rub until most of the skins have come off.
5. Discard skins.
6. Process nuts in the bowl of a food processor, scraping down sides of bowl occasionally, until they have liquefied, about 5 minutes.
7. Set the hazelnuts aside.
8. Combine the condensed milk, chocolate chips, and honey in a heatproof bowl or the top of a double boiler; set over a pan of simmering water.
9. Stirring occasionally, heat until the chocolate chips have melted, about 3 minutes.
10. Add the hot chocolate mixture to the liquefied hazelnuts, and process until the mixture is smooth, about 5 minutes.
11. Transfer the spread to an airtight container, and store, refrigerated, up to 1 month.

No comments: