Thursday, September 18, 2008

Mexican Double Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies


I'm not sure where I found this recipe, but I was recently "baking through the storm" on a stormy Saturday afternoon with Baby Bell and I found this recipe on one of my cards from years ago. I made a TON of cookies for my many sibling who are all still in college. (Yea for being the oldest and done with it all!) This one was my favorite so I thought I would share it.

These cookies are crunchy (but not too crunchy) on the outside and soft and gooewy on the inside. They are super rich and chocolately. You must use a good-quality dark chocolate bar. I used a candy bar that I got at Aldi's. I love their chocolate; they are made in Austria, which I think the store is orginially from. I think what makes it "Mexican" is that this cookie has cinnamon and black pepper in it. It has a nice warm spiciness to it. I thought it was a nice fall season cookie. I plan on making them again for Operation Baking Gal this month. http://operationbakinggals.blogspot.com/ These gals make cookies for soliders overseas. Check them out!



Mexican Double Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies


  • 1 C All Purpose Flour
  • 1/2 C Unsweetened Dutch-Process Cocoa Powder
  • 1 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
  • 1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
  • 1/2 Tsp Coarse Salt
  • 1/8 Tsp Finely ground Black Pepper
  • 1/4 Lb Coarsely chopped good-quality DARK chocolate
  • 1/2 C (1 Stick) Unsalted Butter
  • 1 1/2 C Sugar
  • 2 Large Eggs
  • 1 Tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
  • 3/4 C Semisweet Chocolate Chips
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

  2. Whish together the flour, cocoa powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, and pepper. Set aside.

  3. In a small heat proof bowl set over a small saucepan of simmering water, melt the DARK chocolate with butter. Let cool slightly.
  4. Combine sugar, eggs, and vanilla in a large bowl.
  5. Slowly temper the eggs by added a few teaspoons of the butter/chocolate mixure at a time. You don't want to scramble the eggs.
  6. Add the rest of the butter/chocolate mixture to the egg mixture.
  7. Gradually add the flour mixture.
  8. Fold in the chocolate chips.
  9. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Scoop 1 1/2 inch balls of the mixutre onto the cookie sheet and space them 2 inches apart.

10. Bake cookies for about 15 mintures or until they look flat and the surfaces crack.
Yum! Yum! Baby Bell LOVES cookies!!!!
**You should get about 3 dozen cookies!**


No comments: