Thursday, September 18, 2008

Gram's Crockpot Roast & Hunkie Soup

Gram's Crockpot Roast

When I got my first apartment while attending college my lovely parents, fearing that I was too lazy to cook for myself and fearing that I would starve, gave me a small crockpot. My favorite meal in the whole wide world is potroast with carrots and potatoes. I adapted my mom's recipe to be used in the crockpot that she gave me. Over the years I changed and tweeked the recipe (and the name since she is a grandma now!) and I finally feel satisfied with this recipe. I must warn you that I eyeball every ingredigent so it was difficult trying to figure out the measurements. You can change the measurements depending on your taste preferrence.

My husband and I make this all the time. There is always a ton leftover and there is a lot you can do with leftover potroast...such Shepard's Pie, Hunkie Soup, Beef Stew, or BBQ Beef. I've included a recipe for Hunkie Soup after the Potroast recipe...in case your interested.

Gram's Crockpot Roast

  • 1 Beef Roast (The size depends on you)
  • 1 Tbsp Minced Garlic
  • 1 Tbsp Onion Powder
  • 1 Tsp Garlic Powder
  • 1 Small Onion, sliced (You can use any you like, I use red onions)
  • 1/2 C celery, diced
  • 1 C carrots, cut-up
  • 5-6 Red Russet Potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
  • Salt/Pepper, to taste
  • Water
  1. Place the roast into crockpot and fill with enough water to almost but not quite cover the roast.
  2. Put two slits in the roast and fill with some of the garlic. Throw the rest on top.
  3. Add onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
  4. Add onion slices making sure to place a few slices on top of the roast as well as to the water.
  5. If you want soft almost mushy veggies (which is what we do) add the rest of the veggies. Othewise add the veggies at the last 1/2 hour of cooking. They will be soft but not too mushy.
  6. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours.

We use the leftovers to make Hunkie Soup, which yet another Czech recipe from my Grandma Trix. This is super easy and very yummy! This was the first soup that my Baby Bell had when she could start eating solid foods. She LOVES it! It is great on a cold wintery day!! (This can be made with or without the shredded potroast.)

Hunkie Soup

  • 2 Cans Beef Broth (or broth left over from the potroast)
  • Water
  • 1 Small Onion, sliced
  • 1/2 C Celery
  • 1 Garlic Clove, minced
  • Salt/Pepper, to taste
  • 1 Can diced tomatoes
  • 1/2 C carrots, cut-up
  • 2 Medium Baking Potatoes--OR--4 Small Red Russet Potatoes, peeled and diced
  • 1 Package Egg Noodles
  • Potroast, cook and shredded, Optional
  1. Cook the Egg Noodles according to the directions. Drain and put aside.
  2. In a dutch oven add broth (either from the can or from leftover roast).
  3. Take the empty broth cans and fill with water and add to broth.
  4. Add the onion, celery, garlic, salt, pepper, tomatoes, carrotes, potatoes, and shredded potroast (optional).
  5. Simmer for 20-30 minutes or until veggies are soft.
  6. Place noodles into each bowl and pour soup over top.**

**If you put the noodles into the soup and store it in the fridge the noodles will absorb all of the broth. It is better to pour the soup over the noodles in each bowl.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!